Organizing Your First College Apartment | ApartmentSearch
January 11, 2021
- By :
apartments, College, cooking, Financial Wize, FinancialWize, living room, Make, More, save, School, tips
Between tests, deadlines, and extracurricular activities, school is hard enough on its own! Keep your stress levels in check with an organized apartment (and no, color-coded trash bags won’t cut it).
Use these easy organizing ideas and tricks to make sure everything you need in your first college apartment is right at your fingertips when you need it.
Make Your Living Room Décor Serve Double Duty
Your living room is a place to lounge, sure, but it can also help you stay organized with tons of hidden storage space. Creating extra storage space and stepping up your college apartment décor is a win-win!
- Put a large storage chest as a coffee table or footrest in the living room so you’ll have a space for blankets and extra linens.
- Set small wicker baskets under your end tables to house coasters, magazines, and even remote controls.
- Use freestanding shelves stocked with matching baskets to hide unsightly supplies, then add a few small decorative items for a stylish touch.
Maximize Your Apartment Kitchen
Most college apartment kitchens tend to be on the smaller side, and the kitchen is where you and your roommates will probably hang out most often! Organizing small spaces like cabinets and drawers can seem daunting at first, but there are plenty of tips and tricks to make it easy-peasy.
- Mount hooks, racks, or small baskets on the back of cabinet doors to free up space in your kitchen cabinets for other supplies.
- Use inexpensive plastic containers or drawer organizers to wrangle silverware and cooking accessories in your drawers.
- Install small cabinet shelves to double your space for plates, bowls, and cups. Check out these other creative vertical storage ideas.
- Hook a small pot rack inside your pantry or laundry room for large cookware.
- Store large appliances on top of the fridge to save precious cabinet space.
Create a Calm, Organized Bedroom
Your bedroom is your private space to relax, so keep it clutter-free!
- Create a place to hang your keys, backpack, and jacket on an empty wall with damage-free adhesive hooks.
- Keep your papers and files in check without taking up valuable desk space using wall-mounted baskets.
- Use cheap over-the-door hooks to house your purse or shoe collection, especially if you have a tiny apartment closet.
- Use risers to lift your bed and use the extra space to store out-of-season clothing and other rarely used items.
Get Creative When Organizing Small Spaces in the Bathroom
Bathroom space is a premium in college apartments, especially if you’re sharing a bathroom with a roommate. Luckily, it’s easier than you think.
- Store makeup and toiletries in dollar store silverware trays and baskets.
- Make the most out of space under the sink with stackable containers.
- Add an extra shelving unit above the toilet for more out-of-the-way storage.
Here at ApartmentSearch, we know that renting a small apartment has its own unique perks and challenges. Follow us on Facebook and Twitter for the best tips and tricks on college apartment décor, organization, and more!